Friday, March 20, 2009

OK, breathe.

The appraiser just came, after our crazy Thursday night of putting up the rest of the ceiling then cleaning the whole house. Phew! We're just getting it an appraisal for a refi - don't worry, we're not abandoning the bungalow.

So, we have a minute to catch our breath. Here's how the study ended up, so far. We still have a lot to do, but it was together enough to look like a funtional room.
Eddy loves the new (bargain) rug. He does yoga on every rug in the house several times a day.

The bookshelf is newer - we bought it from a woman down the street who was moving. She said a friend's dad in Minnesota was a furniture maker, and he had made it for her. She couldn't take it wherever she was going, so we got it for a steal. It's solid oak, and giant! It's about 6' long! Luckily she lived REALLY close by, because we had to put it on the roof of the little Subaru & drive real slow.


Did we ever tell you about this desk? Craigslist find. We don't have as good luck as Jason the Craigslist Jedi Master - but this one worked out. It was 2 hours south of here, but we had to be there anyways for an appointment, so it worked out. It's a partners-type desk - one drawer on each side opens and they each have a lid and an inkwell hole. It's not the greatest design or construction (the legs aren't done in a way Stickley would have done it), but I love it anyways. And - we didn't have to strip any paint!

This weekend, we'll be mostly taking it easy (finally). Maybe I'll strip the window header. Maybe not.

And in an hour or so, a wallpaper guy is coming to see if it's at all affordable for us to - gasp - hire someone else to hang our Bradbury & Bradbury border in the study. More on that soon...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That desk - those windows - that bookshelf - I'd just like to settle in and write a half-dozen journal articles. That room would get me tenure is what I'm saying.

Anonymous said...

Ack - my OpenID experiment was a failure. I wish I Blogger would let me post with (1) an avatar, and (2) a link to my Wordpress blog.

Jennifer said...

The appraisal is the biggest thing keeping me from refinancing! I just don't want to FINISH all the half done projects. :)

Karen Anne said...

I am coveting that rug. Did you get it somewhere accessible, like from the net?

sarah said...

Karen Anne - ebay, baby. It was not particularly expensive - it's not super-nice, but it's 100% wool & the colors were perfect. Look for sellers with free shipping.

Tommy said...

I love that desk!!! The study looks great. I really like the book shelf too. Good luck with the refi!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys...