Friday, February 26, 2010


So we're finally planning to get a project started - and done! It's the master bedroom. This will be the last room in the house that needs re-doing - above ground. We still have to do the basement and lots of outdoor projects - so don't worry, plenty more blog posts to come.

Anyways, this *should be* a simple one. We've already re-wired the room, and there's very little plaster damage, plus only 1 layer of paper (as compared to vinyl) wallpaper, that peels off pretty easily, based on our tests. Also, we are painting trim in the upstairs bedrooms, as painful as that feels.

AND - no one painted any of the doors in the room! Woo hoo!

So, the plan is to paint it this color - Sherwin Williams Studio Blue-Green. We picked the color when we did the guest and sitting rooms last year, so the palette won't look like someone randomly picked a bunch of crayon-colors.

Also, we plan to accent the top of one wall (a freize) with this stencil - it's a Frank Lloyd Wright oak leaf design - that I picked up when I was at Taliesin at 2006. In dark brown, we think.Stay tuned - the fun (if you want to call moving furniture and clothes around fun!) starts tomorrow...

Monday, February 8, 2010


Work has been crazy lately. Nevertheless, we stole an hour last week to install two new old finds: mismatched (but coordinated) push plates for the swinging door between the kitchen and dining room.

Of course, we had to go ebay on this - new push plates (or old matched sets) are expensive for us right now (we're in a cheap phase, as usual).

First, I found this small, plain one - great style and it fits perfectly. The push plates that were on the door when we moved in (and until last week) were too wide, so they stuck out over the moulding and you could reach in behind. Silly.

Then Ken thought we should see if we could find one that said "PUSH" - there were some cool ones we had seen and we got fixated on those. So, we searched, and success! I found an old used one, same style as the first one but a tad bigger. But, since no one will be looking at both sides of the door at the same time, they're perfectly fine together.

I also think it's neat that the door either (a) wasn't always a swinging door, or (b) was a stock door that someone made into a swinger by filling the mortise (very nicely, I must say). Option b would be more consistent with a kit house, I think. Cool either way, though.