First he put a primer/sealer on the area that would get wallpaper. Actually, first he penciled in a reference line all around the room.
Then he went to lunch while the primer dried, after setting up his work area for the afternoon. As I admired the orderly setup, I realized that not only would I have frigged up the paper, we would have had to buy way too many supplies to make it cost-effective to hang the paper ourselves.
After lunch, he took just a couple of hours to hang & futz with the paper, plus there was a little time for cleanup and setup. I got to help - I held the end of the paper on a long run, so it wouldn't drag all down the wall and floor.
And that was it! It was totally worth it to hire someone who had all the materials and knew what they were doing. I bet it would have taken me about 3 days, and I would have made a lot of mistakes, too. This paperhanger was referred by the local historic home contractor - which was a good reference, and he was punctual and didn't diddle around. Also, he came over on the weekend to pick up the paper to trim at his house (to avoid hauling around a trimming board), and he took the instructions from Bradbury to read carefully. Clearly, he followed them - the paper is all centered properly on the walls, and the steps seem to match what I think I read in the instructions.
Thrilled. Now we need to install picture rail under the border (that's why it's OK that the primer went outside the line). And I need to finish those pesky window headers. What a great feeling to have something done - like totally done!